Monday, October 10, 2011

See Fish Get Distracted

By Lori

So yesterday was Fast Sunday. In our Church, Fast Sunday is usually the first Sunday of every month. The exceptions being April and October, because of General Conference.

"One Sunday each month Latter-day Saints observe a fast day. On this day we neither eat nor drink for two consecutive meals. If we were to eat our evening meal on Saturday, then we would not eat or drink until the evening meal on Sunday.
All members who are physically able should fast. We should encourage our children to fast after they have been baptized, but we should never force them. The fast day is a special day for us to humble ourselves before the Lord in fasting and prayer. It is a day to pray for forgiveness from our sins and for the power to overcome our faults and to forgive others.
On fast Sunday, members of the Church meet together and partake of the sacrament. They strengthen themselves and one another by bearing testimony in fast and testimony meeting." Gospel Principles Chapter 25

Back to yesterday. I was sitting in church and I was pondering on the story of Nehemiah from the Old Testament. I wish I knew more about him. This is what I do know: It all stared with fasting and prayer. A prayer asking for forgiveness and then an acceptance of God's will. The prayer was also in behalf of the Jews. He was a Jew, he was the king's cup bearer, he was distraught over the ruin of Jerusalem so he went to the king and asked permission to leave his court and go rebuild the walls of Jerusalem. The king gave him permission and he was commissioned to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem. When he got there there was so much ruin, but he rallied the troops and many helped in rebuilding the gates and walls of the city. Pretty much immediately upon his arrival, though, he was met with opposition. They met so much opposition that they had to keep themselves armed while they worked on these walls. Nehemiah continued to let the people know that God was with them and that they were about a great work. It even says in chapter 4 verse 6 that they built the wall "for the people had a mind to work". He also told them to not let it get to them that others were trying to stop this great work by trying to kill them. They had a system, they had a job to do and they weren't going to let the outside distractions keep them from doing this great work. "God shall fight for us". He is a great one to have on our side. These men that were trying to kill the Jews working on the wall were continually sending Nehemiah messages wanting to meet with him outside the city. He didn't go because "they thought to do me mischief". He wouldn't be distracted. "And I sent messengers unto them, saying, " There were threats on his life, people trying to deceive him continually, those that put down God and his ability; but Nehemiah and the people persevered and, if I am understanding my scriptures correctly, finished the wall in 52 days. (Nehemiah 1-6)
There is more to the story, as is always the case, but I am so impressed with his lack of being distracted, his leadership skills, his ability to follow the promptings of the spirit and his drive to do the Lord's work.
For those of you who know me, this will come as no surprise-I easily get distracted. I am now a mom to five full-time students. I am home (kind of, ok-not really) most days. So far I have let the computer, books and "thin things" distract me. I know there is so much BEST that I could and should be doing, but it is like I am in shock or denial or something.
I have decided ENOUGH of this. I will take a stand against distraction and if needs be, yell "I am doing a great work, so that I cannot come down: why should the work cease, whilst I leave it, and come down to you?" I am expecting great things, maybe not in 52 days, but I know that big walls and great gates can be built around a city in 52 days. It takes an eye and mind single. It takes "a mind to work". It takes defense and, most importantly, it takes faith in and help from our Savior.
Get excited! Beautiful things are about to happen.
***I love run on sentences and have mastered the misuse of punctuation. I also need to learn how to cite my sources.
***Great talk about distractions from last week.

1 comment:

  1. My Dear Sister, I doubt you are caught up too much in the thick of thin things. But excellent example from Nehemiah, and thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete