Tuesday, October 25, 2011

SEE FISH BAKE a healthful treat

Well, Amy's post on pumpkin muffins motivated me to make this pumpkin cake recipe that I have been wanting to try for awhile. I always procrastinate making something new that is supposed to be both super nutritious and delicious because it works less than 50% of the time. Plus I hate wasting my time and expensive, healthful ingredients on something that no one wants to eat. This time, however, it was a success! and I'm going to share it with you:

WHOLE WHEAT PUMPKIN CAKE--slightly adapted from The Diet Rebel's Cookbook, Eating Clean and Green by Jillayne Clements and Michelle Stewart (These girls are right up my ally--I highly recommend their book.)
2 cups sprouted soft white wheat flour (it's ok if yours happens to not be sprouted)
3/4 cup dehydrated cane juice (sucanat)
1 1/2 tsps. baking powder
2 tsps. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
4 eggs
1/4 cup water
15 oz. pumpkin puree
3/4 cup butter or coconut oil (I used both)
1/4 cup pure maple syrup or honey
*Mix the wet ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients. Combine both mixtures and mix well. Pour the batter into an ungreased 9 x 13 glass baking dish and bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool completely. In the meantime, make the topping:
12 oz. cream cheese (I used cream cheese that I made from Greek yogurt that was non-fat. See my post "See Fish Experiment")
3/4 cup butter
3 tsps. pure vanilla extract
2/3 cup pure maple syrup
1/3 cup sprouted (then dried) chopped almonds--optional
*Blend all of topping ingredients, except the almonds, with a mixer. When cake is cool, frost it, sprinkle almonds on top, and refrigerate.

1 comment:

  1. Stef — I made this today and it is delicious!! My icing isn't healthy like yours but maybe next time. Dave even loves it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete