Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas!

by Julia

I am finally posting on the blog for the first time. My timing has to do with the availability of one of my teenagers to walk me through the whole process. The digital natives at this house tolerate my lack of complete comfort at the computer, as does Candace, who I whine to about it on occasion.

A quick intro: I am the oldest of this clan, I am married to David (we hit 20 years this past summer), and I have four intense children.




Here are the rowdies on Christmas Eve in their new pajamas. Santa and the elves outfit them yearly, along with their cousins. We are the only Fish family members not gathering together this year because our oldest came home from his first semester at college to see us! (And all his friends.)


So here we are with one of T's friends and the LDS missionaries for our Christmas Eve dinner. This meal, a Fish family favorite, is called Raclette. It is the name of the cheese and traditionally is served melted with boiled potatoes, cornichons, and pearl onions. We add shrimp in garlic butter on top of the snazzy machine you see in the middle of the table (Merlin and Pat gifted one to each of our families years ago). This meal also included a green salad, grape tomatoes, artisan bread, various fruits, and brownies with sorbet. Mer would be proud of the artistic cheese tower I made.

Here are the place cards I created for our guests. Yes, I am a calligrapher. I am addicted and I can't stop (that is redundant). This blog may soon look like Julia's portfolio.

The biggest surprise of the day was when we were sitting in church today and it was announced that the Thompson family would be singing a musical number. I had a moment of anxiety as the man announcing looked right at me and smiled. I smiled back, turned to David, and said through my teeth, "what are we singing??" He assured me that I was not expected to do an impromptu performance. Instead, my four children sang "O Little Town of Bethlehem" in all four parts. They were amazing! G (the nine year old) can almost hold down that alto by himself. I wondered why they sent David and me out for a walk last night. . .

I hope you all have had a wonderful Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. Julia,

    I am still so grateful for all of the beautiful things you made me so many years ago. You are one talented woman! :) I may have to have another project "commissioned" as those place tags you made are giving me "the itch!"

    Hope all is well. Amy keeps me posted on the entire Fish family, but it is nothing like seeing you all in person.

    -Jenny (Sliwa) Herold

    ReplyDelete